Orkut???? What am I talking about? Is it something to do with the dodgeball? I am sure you did not ask this socially unexpected question, as you too must be an ORKUT by now. Chirkut is non-dictionary hindi word often used in Utter Pradesh and Bihar (two states from India) to praise a person for being loser, stupid and dullard. Recently our favorite politicians have accepted this word as an integral part of their performance appraisal system (Interested people can read, “So what if am a ‘chirkut’?” by Samajwadi party’s Amar Singh).
As you have rightly guessed that orkut is nothing but a social epidemic created by a Google guy called Orkut Buyukkokten (his orkut id). I have never seen such a social virus that transmitted (verbally or by demonstration) from one social unit to another so rapidly. Its penetration rate in India is very high, redefining the scope of Indian web business, thatâ€™s the point when another community got created, â€œChirkutâ€. At NIMC/AIM campus there are two groups, orkuts and chirkuts.
The formula for Chirkut is very simple,
~(set of people in orkut.com) = community of chirkuts.
In other words either you are an Orkut or a Chirkut. The propagation was so intense that almost every young soul I know is almost not a chirkut. Recently at Gym I heard two not so techy guys explaining their experiences at orkut.com . I hear it almost everywhere I go. I was forced to join orkut when my mailboxes were filled with invitations.
I myself am involved in creating communities (mainly niche and topic based, with nimc community as the only non-commercial one). Letâ€™s try and understand the success secrets of orkut,
- It is not available for free: It created a virtual scarcity and a real demand. A little new to all the economics experts. In social networking a virtual scarcity can create good demand, provided the right environments.
- Word of mouth publicity: I never saw an ad for orkut but I got more invitations than those spammy mortgage promotional mails.
- Simplicity: It is very simple to use.
- One shop for all concept: I am with batchmates.com and various other communities but orkut.com is a social platform for every activity. Orkut is a right platform for anyone interested in anything.
- Really Good: It is really good with all 7ps of online marketing. You can really find some childhood friend by a simple search.
The biggest secret: The number game
It played the number game better. â€œHey I have n number of friends, how many do you have?â€,”I have Y scraps on my scrapbook how many do you have?â€. When there is a number, people try to improve. And when there is a comparison chart, people try to compete for a better number. Orkut did exactly what I call the number game, he showed all possible numbers at all possible place to motivate people to improve their number.
â€œOrkut Buyukkokten had an interest in social networking and so developed his serviceâ€, says Google. At Google every employee is allowed to spare 20% of his or her time on their interest area. This is a product of a good policy, well done Google and Orkut. Do let us know how you joined Orkut with a comment.
The battle continues,
Other releated topics
Read on the other interesting posts from my http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/ and do not forget to subscribe to the blog.