Recently I had an opportunity to talk to some of the great industry heads with great experiences and few patents. It was more fun than serious talk. Talked about web 2.0 stuffs, experiences in startup company, cluster for DBs, when technology can become bottleneck, social network technologies and many more things. It was great.
While talking, one of the technical head asked me, “Aji, where do you want to see yourself after 3 or 5 years“. This is quite a common question when you talk to a career oriented guy. It was a brainy session but some answers come out of your heart irrespective of your brain size, it was just another moment where it just came out of my heart. I almost answered it this way,
“Honey! I want to shrink my CV”
I was so happy that my heart answered so wonderfully (sometimes you should just allow your heart to flow). After the answer there was no further question about my career, goal or objective. Here is a small briefing for those who don’t understand what it actually means. In some years I want to shrink my CV to one line, “Aji Issac, Team/founder/Architect/blah, XYZ product, 200* – 20**“. Thats an advantage of working with product based companies.
This also answer few common questions thrown at me at various occasions by our Team members:
- What will be my position after X years?.
- I want to be senior programmer after 1 year, senior-senior programmer after 3 year, super-duper programmer after 5 years and many be programming guru after 10 years”, does your company allows that?
- Why is my position the same for last 2 years?
In product based company your position keeps changing every moment:
- After one year – 2007: Aji Issac, ABC profile, XYZ product (Used by 2 people)
- After two years – 2008: Aji Issac, ABC profile, XYZ product (Used by 2000 people)
- After three years – 2009: Aji Issac, ABC profile, XYZ product (Used by 2 million people)
- After five years – 2011: Aji Issac, ABC profile, XYZ product (Used by almost every other people who uses web)
Thats the time when you can say, “Aji Issac, ABC profile, XYZ product, 2008 – 2011“. Take pride in working for products and product based companies. For selfish reasons make it work. If you are a company head/founder then make sure everyone working with you have have enough shares/stocks of your product (in black and white) else don’t expect the same commitment (This small move can create all the difference for your company). Enjoy the day!