At many instances people have asked me this query, “Is Google giving wikipedia some priority in search?”. No, I do not think so (but they can do it easily, look at the coop custom search, it has a manual priority setting too). Search for any keyword, even the commercial keywords and you will find some wikipedia results. At instances you might find even more than one result for wikipedia under a search.
Wiki is ruling the search engine esp Google because of following reasons :-
- Incoming links: People love linking to wikipedia. I have not seen any other site which is so link attractive. Wikipedia attracts link. Bloggers love linking to wikipedia for any term. Wikipedia also acts as a dictionary, where people link to explain the work.
- Overall Site value: Total Pages indexed (10,600,000 in Google, 49,710,962 in yahoo) + Total backlinks (32,121,814 sitewide links in yahoo, which is close to Yahoo’s backlinks).
- Link distribution: Wikipedia gets links to almost all pages and thus it has a good link distribution as well.
- Relevant Anchor text: Most of the links comes with relevant anchor text for the pages.
- OnPage factors: OnPage factors are strong too (Yahoo still loves this factor).
In short it is very highly SEOptimized.