Microsoft might have launched MsDewey.com powered Live.com. Can the search hostess MS Dewey bring lady luck for MSN search. I have serious doubts. But there are no doubts that Google is ruling the Internet search industry and with the coop attempt (which also includes an adsense revenue sharing mode for CSE) Google is growing stronger and stronger.
(You can choose Yahoo and MSN from the above pic but Google is obvious)
There are various explanation for Google’s success like
- They have better architects and they are on drive to hire more using the money muscles. (1, 2, 3, …). Does that mean if Mr Bill Gates (oops Mr Balmer now) hires better architects they can beat big G.
- Google’s interface and overall theme is simpler. Does that mean if Yahoo makes a clean page they will win?
- Competing with Google’s search engine is no longer about search results quality, it is about brand and distribution.
- Plenty more arguments in similar lines.
Here is the reason why Yahoo and MSN can’t beat Google in near future, THE DATA.
Once Peter Norvig said, “Worry about the data first before you worry about the algorithm”. I am sure this is more relevant for Data mining but I think it hold very true for Google’s success. It has collected immense data which can be used for better search experience (They may use Behavioral targeting soon if not already). Google can collect data using toolbars,analytics,adsense,cookies and with almost every G product. Some links about Google’s data collection:-
- Google Data Collection Embeded in Firefox 2
- Why does Google trap user data?
- Where Does Google Draw the Data Collection Line?
- Google Watch – Facts or Myths, you decide.
For SEOs look at the result for “auto loan” and this is result of data muscles powered by some algorith. Google knows the browsing habits of Indian surfer (The data is available to them). How will yahoo or MSN beat this SERP?
# Google.com listing
# Google.co.in listing