I wrote about “Is Orkutâ€™s Memetic strength a misinterpretation?“. Now finally Orkut has accepted it as a part of its service. In short,
- Orkut developed a feature for use A (for adding tidbits of information to your profile).
- Market misinterpreted it and used it for B (for chatting).
- use B became its strength.
- I blogged about it and many people read about it :).
- Now use B is accepted as a part of Orkut. It remains no more a misinterpretation.
- Lesson learned – The dumbest customer is smarter than your smartest developer, let them define it. (Also read “Marketers should be dumber than customer” and “Why programmers are Lazy and Dumb” )
Now this reply button which is recently added explains the acceptance of use B. Also it tells you that initially Orkut scrapbook was not made for chatting.
Is this a good move?
In my honest opinion (IMHO) this (adding the reply button) is a bad move. Why so? As it will stop people (few if not many) from visiting other’s scrapbook, which will dilute it’s memetic strength. When I visit others scrapbook to add a scrap I can generally notice,
- a new common friend who is not added to my list scrapping there.
- Some of my friends changing their avatars and people discussing about it.
- Some other tidbits.
All the above bulleted points kept Orkut live and viral. IMO Orkut should remove it, I used to get dozens of scraps by changing avatars and people used to find me from other’s scrapbook.